Saturday, August 4, 2012

Mystery Canyon

Christian and I lotto picked to be able to go through Mystery Canyon in Zions.  We were supposed to go with a couple of friends but the ended up not being able to go.  So we changed plans and Christian's two brothers and sister came with us.  This hike was very much out of my comfort zone.  I had never rappelled before and don't do heights.  Christian and I had to go rappelling so I could practice the Monday before.  It went...OK...

We all met in St. George and Christian's parents were nice enough to take the kids for us.  We parked in Zions and started our hike.  We had to first make our way up the East Rim.  It is 4 miles up.  We were sweaty but at least it wasn't scary.

Then we had to go down something called the death gulley. (I can't remember the exact name but death was part of it).  It was this loose rock with steep edges on one side.  My quads were sore for 3 days from this part.

After that, the rappels started.  We ended up doing 11, I think.  I only yelled at Christian before the first one.  Poor Christian.  I composed myself a little bit better after the first one.  Really the hardest part is stepping over the edge.  I banged myself up a little but I did it.  I did get better after each one.  The first 9 were just like 20-30 feet.

The next one I wouldn't look over the edge because every one said it was 50 ft.  I went out and didn't look down at all.  But then I had been going down for a while.  I thought I have to be almost down so I looked down and realized I was only 1/2 way down.  This is NOT 50ft.  Apparently it was about 130ft.  So big.  But I DID IT!!!  Then we had to go a little bit further before the last one.

This one was just short of 100 ft but it was slippery.  We were along side a small waterfall that ends in The Narrows of Zion.  It was funny because as we were going down people that were in The Narrows were taking pictures of us rappelling down and ending in the river. 

After that I finally relaxed.  Paula had said that I must be comfortable again because I started talking again.  After that it was easy.  Just had to get to the end of The Narrows.

It was a really good experience.  I'm glad Christian took me along.


1 comment:

Megan Goates said...

You're brave! I don't think I could've don't it! Good job, lady.