Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Brenten's surgery


Brenten right before he went into his surgery. He now is the proud owner of his second set of tubes. Tubes are only functional for 1 1/2 years but generally the hope is that they have outgrown their need for tubes by the time they are no longer working. Brenten wasn't that fortunate. We did a hearing test a couple weeks ago and Brenten's hearing was 35 decibels lower than the lowest they would let him go. He has a pretty big hearing loss. By getting tubes, the fluid he had behind his eardrum can flow out and therefore improving his hearing. We do a second hearing test in 1 month. We also did allergy testing. We found out he is not allergic to anything. Great news. What that means is Brenten's ears just have bad anatomy. So if in 1 1/2 years he has the same problem again we will be doing permanent tubes. A much better alternative to allergy shots every week. He is doing great after the surgery and has already had comments about his hearing. He said the day after his surgery, "Mom, I am so loud" and he has also commented that everyone around him is much louder. I am taking that as great news.

6 comments:

4wheelschick said...

I'm glad he is feeling better and can hear a lot better too.

Jenni said...

"Mom I am so loud". Haha that is cute. Were you scared watching him go into surgery again? I always get nervous about kids having to be put under. I'm glad that everything went well though.

By the way thanks for all your comments on my blog. I'm always grateful you stop by. :)

Keri said...

Now the hard part will be getting him to quiet down. And watch what you say, he'll hear everything. And then repeat it.

The Reimers Family said...

So glad that it went well.

Haley said...

So funny that he thinks he and everyone else is so loud. Makes you wonder how he was hearing before. Glad he's doing better. Hopefully it will continue to improve!

Genevre said...

My boys need this test- they never listen to me, and are always yelling... :) I am Brenten is such a trouper. I wonder did he do better during recovery then when he was three?