Saturday, February 7, 2009

no Mom of the Week award for me :(

Earlier in the week Brenten complained that his cheek was hurting but he wouldn't let me look in his mouth so I told him he probably just bit it and now there is a sore and to just eat on the other side. He didn't really same much else except for maybe a random comment here and there for two days. Then Thursday evening he was soooo whiney and couldn't stop crying. Not like him at all. But he and Landon did decide to make a fort in their room at 6am so I told him to knock it off because we had an appointment so he needed to stop crying. As he cried he said he would try. Not that he was hiding anything becuase his little face was all blotchy. But he did manage to stop crying for our short appointment and then it started back up. I thought maybe he is getting sick so I gave him some Tylenol and sent him to bed at 7:30. That night I got up with him 6 times and he was crying and awake the whole night. This is not like him. Even if he has the flu he pretty much takes care of himself at night. Finally the 6th time, I told him "Brenten I am sorry you are not sleeping but you are killing me. I really need some sleep. Please stop crying." (you know because it is all about me) The next morning we get up and go down stairs and I go to get the boys breakfast and then I noticed that the right side of his face is double in size. I mean it was huge. And he couldn't even smile on that side. I couldn't find any sores or bites or anything. It was just so swollen and now he is complaining that his teeth hurt too. I was able to get him into the quick care so we hurried into the doc. Turns out the poor thing has a sinus infection that has settled in his maxillary sinus (upper cheek) and that is why he is so swollen. Now he is antibiotics and the swelling is starting to come down and he is at least sleeping at night. It was so weird though, no fever and he hasn't been sick. I was relieved to know it isn't contagious so it won't effect him getting to hold the new baby. The doc said he should be feeling much better by Monday. He is really a trooper. He is doing very well even though it must be annoying to have half his face so big.

7 comments:

4wheelschick said...

Poor Brenten!! It is no fun being sick is it...especially when it has to do with your face.

Rendi said...

I can't count how many times I have done that as a mom. You think we would learn that behavior that is not normal must mean that there is something wrong. Poor baby- hopefully he will do better soon!

chris w said...

Poor sweetheart. That's just what you needed right now too.

Chris and Kat said...

I love that it is "all about you" That is exactly how I would have reacted in your situation. You are a still the best mom Brenten has EVER had!

The Dixons said...

Poor baby. I've done things like that before. Don't feel bad. :)

The Reimers Family said...

I bet you could've gone without that! Poor kid!

Unknown said...

Hey girl, just wanted to let you know I"m thinking about you! You should have a new little bundle right now! congrats!